Monday, October 20, 2014

October 20th: Just the Beginning

This post is about the set up and beginnings of my Micro Aquarium. I have a thin plastic casing which I will call my aquarium. This is what it looks like.

A little more information about my aquarium, the water is from Lynnhurst Cemetary off of Adair Drive, in Knoxville Tennessee. Partial shade exposure Spring Feed Pond N36 01.357 W83 55.731 958 ft and the sample was collected on 10/12/2014. Here is a picture of the location my sample came from.
From the collected sample I used a dropper to put soil in the bottom of my aquarium then collected water from the bottom, middle, and top of the sample. Once I collected my soil and water my Micro Aquarium was ready for some more organisms. So I added two types of organisms:
-Amblestegium varium (Hedwig) Lindberg. Moss. Collection from: Natural spring. at Carters Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. TN. Partial shade exposure. N36 01.168 W83 42.832. 10/12/2014
-Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivorous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN. 10/12/2014
Now all my organisms live happily together. Through first look under the microscope I only found one microorganism. "He" was almost a perfect circle, except had a small tail, multicellular organism moving in a circle over and over again, doing constant doughnuts. He was the only creature I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment