Sunday, October 26, 2014

October 26th: Nematodes, Rotifers, and More

Since my last observation there has been little visible change in my microaquarium to the naked eye or through the microscope. There has been a slight increase in microorganisms, but that’s it. There are no dead organisms lining the tank or anything like that. The date last observed was Thursday October 23, 2014.
-On this day I found many organisms such as a nematode. The nematode seemed to be in constant, quick motion. The long, thin, tail like creature was transparent and appear all throughout the microaquarium.
-As I kept exploring I found three rotifers! The rotifers were transparent, slow moving microorganism and they also have a pointed tail found in the middle of the microaquarium near the foliage found inside the aquarium.
-The largest microorganism I saw was the seed shrimp. He was a bottom dwelling microorganism, with a brown coloration and two sets of antennas used to swim through the microaquarium.
-There were a few microorganisms that I was not able to identify. For example a small unicellular transparent organism which had tiny black vacuoles on its body. The organisms moved slowly with no pattern in all parts of the aquarium. I saw five total during. There was also a worm of some kind living in the dirt of my microaquarium, but he never breached the surface for me to identify him. Is there any way to bring the creatures out of the sediment in order to identify it?
Can’t wait until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment